Thursday, July 11, 2013

DATA and Interventions

Yep.  It has been way over a year since my last blog post.  I actually don't think anyone (but me) even looks at my blog.  That is okay though.  It is nice to get my ideas out, and if I help another teacher along the way.....then that is a bonus.  

Since I started teaching life skills 5 years ago a lot has changed.  Utah started using The Common Core.  That changes everything for me as a teacher too.  I have to expose my students to and give them access to the core curriculum at a level that will benefit each of them.  When I first started learning about the rigor in the common core I panicked.  How am I supposed to know 4 different grade levels of common core curriculum, and on top of that I have to adapt it to fit the needs and levels of each of my students?!?!  A year later I am feeling really good about the common core, and I am feeling confident in my ability to provide an appropriate education for each of my students.  My students use something called The Essential Elements of the Common Core.  The Essential Elements are amazing at breaking down the standards to levels that are achievable for students with severe disabilities.

In researching and learning about the Common Core and The Essential Elements of the Common Core I have also upped my knowledge of RTI.  Now every educator has heard of Response to Intervention, but still some lack the knowledge of what it all means.  This year I was asked to join our schools TAT Team.  I am super excited to provide some insight into quality Tier 1 teaching, what a Tier 2 student is, and providing quality interventions that will help Tier 2 students, and ultimately decide if the interventions are sufficient or if steps need to be taken to decide if special education is the appropriate intervention for these students.

This is a lot of information!  I swear I have a point.  DATA.  Being in special education has made me something of a DATA guru (well that is what I like to think).  I use data from assessments like the Direct Reading Assessment, State Tests, and the likes, but what I have found most informative is the DATA from Curriculum Based Assessments that I have come up with on my own.  Each of my students has an Individualized Education Plan so I have data on all of their goals that way.  But I also have come up with a few checklists/curriculum based assessments to use specifically for students with severe disabilities.  I am constantly changing and adjusting the DATA sheets to give me the best information for the teaching and learning that each student in my classroom needs.  

As summer winds down think about what is most important for your students (especially if you have students with special needs) to know.  My most recent CBA is a Reading Inventory.  I give it to students 3 times a year.  It includes % of lower and uppercase letters known, % of letter sounds known, various phonics skills mastered (blends, digraphs, silent e, etc.), sight words mastered, and then a checklist that includes pre-conventional skills, emerging skills, developing skills, beginning skills, and expanding skills.  The checklist is a compilation of many different continuums, checklists, and reading research.  I chose to include reading skills that are crucial to increasing independence, comprehension, and fluency with my students.  What do you think is most important for your students?

Happy Teaching~
Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment