Monday, April 16, 2012

So even though I have no followers to my blog I am still going to post some.  In a severe/profound classroom the schedule can get tricky.  Most students with severe disabilities need structure and routine in order to feel comfortable.  I have a rigid schedule that is stuck to daily (yep, even those last few days of school).  Don't get me wrong our class does attend school assemblies and we go on field trips, but those days are always hard on my students and can throw the whole day into chaos.  Even though you think I am being dramatic I am being completely honest!  My theory is that students who know what is going to happen feel secure and safe.  

Our schedule looks like this:
Bus/Backpacks
Morning Meeting
Bathroom Break
Reading (Silent Reading, Buddy Reading, 1:1 Reading with Teacher)
Letter Review (SmartBoard)
Lunch *Some Students go to regular education classes for Inclusion
Cooperative Play
Bathroom Break
Read Aloud
Super Sentences
Small Group Centers (Writing, Literacy, & Mathematics)
Bathroom Break
Recess
Snack
Individual Work
SmartBoard Lesson
Backpacks/Bus

The afternoon varies.  We have Adaptive Physical Education on Monday and Wednesday.  On Thursday we doing a cooking lesson and an art project.  Fridays are also a bit different.  I am part of a Child Study Team at my school.  We meet from 11:30-1:30 every Friday.  So in the afternoons on Friday after the Read Aloud students participate in Show'n'Tell and watch a movie in place of center time.  

I mentioned that my students really like structure.  Even though most of my students know exactly what happens each day, I provide a picture schedule that students (even non-readers) can reference the schedule.  I also love to encourage independence by referring students to look at the schedule if they are unsure what we are doing or where they should be.

Here are some pictures of our classroom schedule.





All teachers love Velcro, and I am no exception.  I used Velcro on the classroom schedule since things change and I may need to rearrange.  The first year I did the schedule I had times with the activities, but for my students forgoing the times made more sense.


Thanks for taking the time to check this out.  I will be posting what each part of the schedule entails in the coming weeks.


Happy Teaching
~Lindsey
 

No comments:

Post a Comment