Saturday, April 14, 2012

Something New

I am new to the whole teacher blog world.  After discovering Pinterest over Christmas Break, and checking out many, many teacher blogs, I decided to give it a try.  Take it easy on me and remember I am a newbie.  

In my "about me" section I give a brief overview of what I do.  I teach a Life Skills Small Group Inclusion Class.  Hhhmmmm.....what is that?  I am so glad you asked.  I teach students with severe disabilities.  I have the students for the entire school day and during the course of that day we do so many things it is hard to keep it all straight.  Luckily I am borderline obsessed with organization (pictures to come).  I have anywhere from 7-14 students in my class with varying abilities.  Which means that the curriculum is up to me and my imagination and of course other teachers.  I have paraprofessionals working with me and together we do all that we can for each of our students.

When most people think of Life Skills classes they are thinking that the focus is taken off of academics, but that isn't so in my classroom.  We do all the usual mathematics, reading, writing, and science.  We just like to throw in the occasional potty training, social skills, and independence enrichment.

I have my B.A. in Elementary Education and my M.Ed in Special Education.  I taught 3rd and 5th grade prior to what I do now.  I love teaching regular education too!  Right now my heart seems to be in Special Education.




Happy Teaching
~Lindsey

2 comments:

  1. I read your blog!! I was looking for a sample schedule for a severe class and found it here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog!! I was looking for a sample schedule for a severe class and found it here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete